Thank you for your interest in USADF. USADF supports African led development that grows community enterprises by providing seed capital and technical support. This empowers those who are least served by existing markets or assistance programs to become a part of Africa's growth story.
USADF provides funding for the following types of groups:
AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES and SMALL-SCALE PRODUCER GROUPS :
An organization formed by a group of small-scale farmers, artisans, or producers to achieve some or all of the advantages of large-scale marketing and production.
COMMUNITY-BASED ORGANIZATIONS (CBOs):
An organization made up of a group of people who come together to accomplish a common goal or a set of goals tailored to meet the development needs of their community.
AFRICAN INTERMEDIARY ORGANIZATIONS (AIOs):
An organization that works directly with very low-income people and underserved groups.
The majority of USADF’s funding agreements range between $50,000 and $250,000. USADF does not provide funding to government agencies, political parties, or organizations that are not based in Africa. Please note, USADF does not provide funding or scholarships to individuals
NOTE: APPLYING FOR AN USADF GRANT IS FREE, THERE IS NO FEE ASSOCIATED WITH A GRANT APPLICATION. (Une demande de subvention USADF EST GRATUIT. Il n'y a aucun frais associé à une application d’USADF.)
PDF and Word Versions of the application are available at the bottom of the page.
Selection Guidelines and Priorities
USADF has two major priorities when considering a request for funding a project:
- Does the application comes from an African community group or organization that represents its own development priorities and includes the participation of the poor in setting project objectives?
- Does the application represent a project that could provide maximum benefit to an underserved and underserved population group?
Project applications are evaluated on the basis of potential benefits to the community, potential for job creation, workers income improvements, long term profitability, and managerial strengths and capabilities. Other application selection criteria follow:
1. The organization must be 100 percent African-owned and managed.
2. The organization must be a legally recognized African entity (or in the process of becoming legally registered. Registration must be completed before any funding may be provided)
3. The organization must demonstrate that it has successfully worked together and has the potential to productively utilize development funds.
4. The ownership and management must be in agreement on the problem to be addressed and have a commitment to benefit their community.
5. The organization must have basic functional management and controls to use and account for USADF funds.
1. The proposed project should represent both the applicant’s and targeted beneficiaries identified needs.
2. The outcome of the project must provide real (measurable) benefits to the community. Benefits include job creation, increased incomes levels, improved market access, and quality of life improvements.
1. The project is consistent with USADF’s host country strategies and
2. The goals of the project can be implemented realistically with USADF funds.
3.There are sufficient management, technical and financial resources available for project success.
4.The organization can demonstrate long-term viability after USADF funding ends.
5.The organization can meet all licensing/regulatory and environmental requirements.
6. The project has potential for broader replication.
7. The level of funding from self and other sources (local, foreign, donors) committed to or available to the organization.
Please remember: All questions regarding investment eligibility or investment application procedures should be directed to the USADF country representative who administers the country program in the country where your proposal would be based. To find the contact information for these representatives, click on the relevant country link in the Where We Work toolbar.
Pour toutes questions concernant votre éligibilité ou votre demande de financement, veuillez directement contacter le répresentánt ADF de votre pays. Cliquez ici pour la liste des répresentánts nationaux de l'ADF.